Monday, April 28, 2008

Younger's Creek / KYMBA Series






I got up pretty darn early (6am) to get ready for my race down in KY. It was a 3 hour drive both ways and with a 11am start time I had to leave by 7am to make it there an hour before so I could warm up, register, etc. (Yes, Amanda and Joe that makes for 3 races now where I have made it there on time!) The further I got down into KY the more I was psyched for a good race. When I got to preride the course it did not disappoint, tons, of hills, rocks, creeks, trees on the course etc...Kentucky just has some great trails. They weren't kidding when they named the race the switchback attack, there was plenty of em going up and coming down. Real fun stuff out there. Anyhow, the KYMBA series seems to be picking up some steam again and the race was well organized, the trail was pretty challenging and the turnout was decent. I raced against 3 other expert women - yeah, no pro's in my class for once! My start went well, I hit the singletrack in 2nd. I stayed behind #1 and probably only 1 min. back for the first 7-8 miles. Then I came across her sitting on the side of the trail fixing a flat. I stayed in the lead for the rest of the race but I was falling apart slowly. My back was iffy going into the race and my legs had a lot of work in em prior to two interval heavy workouts, I went through 2 water bottles during the race but I probably could have used another bottle and some more energy gel. So, she passed me in the last 5 min. of the race. Ah, well hopefully I'll seal the deal next time. That was a better but not great. I still have a lot of work to do. I can't wait for a race on my home turf. I got my registration fee back + $5. Can't beat that!

No comments:

Post a Comment