Monday, November 7, 2011

Giving back

As a racer there are so many days I show up, throw down, hold out my hand for a prize then go home. Some racers make it a pretty selfish existence.

I love contributing for the greater good, giving back to a culture that I dearly love. Sometimes it's through free or discounted design work, sometimes it hands on labor at races.

A couple weeks ago Matt Bell and I hosted a fun cross race at Devou. It was so fun to sit back and watch others throw down, and to see the race money donated back into a permanent cyclocross course that will continue to make Cincy a cross powerhouse.

Last weekend I had a blast helping set up the Cincy3 Harbin Park race course. It's incredible to be part of a big C1 UCI event, and to see the international pros compete. I'm proud of Mitch and the BioWheels team for putting on such a top-notch event.

I would strongly urge everyone to volunteer whenever they can. I'm sure your local promoters would love any help they can get. It also makes me appreciate what goes into putting on a race. Plus, Bjet and I have been lucky enough to save $500 in race entries this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment