Saturday, May 5, 2012

Ready, Set, Go!


Tomorrow will be the first marathon I have ever attempted. I've run 2.9 Half-Marathons but I know from my training that the marathon is a monster all it's own. I can't believe that I have been preparing for this day for about 6 months now! And in some ways this day has been years in the making, ever since the day a 205 lb Jimmy got a Nike+ for his birthday in November of 2006.

Goals:
1. Finish: All things aside, I need to make sure that I get to the end.
2. Qualify for Boston: I need to run a 3:10 to do this. I'm not sure if the course or the conditions will allow me to complete this goal but I will give it my best shot.
3. Run a 3:00 Marathon: Ha! I set this goal last year, but I know now that this is near impossible at this point in my life. Perhaps someday dreamer! When jet packs are legal...

Strategy:
Start slow. I have to make sure that the heat and hills don't destroy me. I'm going to monitor my heart rate and make sure it doesn't get too high too early — gotta stay out of my zone 5 (somewhere around 164 bpm).

So I am planning to run in the 3:10 pace group. Not sure what they are planning to do. Are they going to start slow too? So I plan to sit in the back, stay out of the wind. If they are running too hard for me I will allow myself to fall off in the first half of the race and

Nutrition:
I'm planning to use 3 bottles of GU Roctaine, a drink that not only has electrolytes but plenty of carbohydrates and over 200 calories per bottle. I also plan to use GU gels for any other calories I might need. Actually, I think I'm going to be drinking my calories from the time I wake up.

Definitely using a recovery drink after the event. And making sure I dose myself with protein every few hours after.

Tapering or Trashed?:
In my training I pushed myself too hard and did not allow for more time to recover. Over months this added up to a lot of tight, twisted muscles in my legs. So a few weeks ago my quad would not stop hurting after workouts. I was worried my knee was starting to go. So a week ago I cut back training and began to rest. In fact, I haven't run in a week and a half because every training run re-injured my quad. Also, my calf muscles have also been tight as a fiddle.

So this means about 3 weeks off from training (1 week rest for injury, 1 week rest before the marathon, and 1 week to recover). I hope this won't effect my second Mohican 100 attempt, but in some ways I think it's a blessing and hopefully my legs will be fresher and less prone to injury throughout this year.

It's just frustrating to go into a big event and not feel your best. It really kills your confidence.

Repair:
I've been going to Norwood Chiropractic to see Doctors Yost and Ogden. They use Active Release Technique massage to work out all the kinks, twists, blood and lactic acid built up in my legs. They have been keeping me going for the past 3 years. Give them a try, they are life-savers!

I've been using CEP compression socks to repair my calf muscles and to keep my legs fresh even on those days where I have to do a lot of standing. The compression increases blood flow and allows for muscles to be repaired quicker.

Preparation:
I started carbo-loading, sodium-loading and hydrating days ago. I stopped drinking alcohol around last weekend too. I've been trying to consume anti-oxidents and omega-fats to make sure my muscles are at their best.

Regrets:
I wish I did more core work as part of my training.  I've been doing yoga and some weights at home but I always feel like a strong core is beneficial to everyone, including endurance athletes.

I wish I went to Pendleton Pilates this year. Their Pilates mat classes are fun and challenging and keep me at my most fit. I also never got to check out Elmntl Fitness, they offer cross-fit type exercises in an outdoor, natural environment.




No comments:

Post a Comment